Back on Blogger

effective in 2020, I will be back on Blogger!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Handmind

I really enjoyed the long weekend, and did some art and some house cleaning.
Over the weekend, I was reading UU World, the Unitarian Univeralist monthly magazine. They usually have some very interesting articles, and one this month was: Slow Making by Doug Stowe. He quotes Ursula K. LeGuin's "Always Coming Home"
"It was a good thing for me to learn a craft with a true maker. It may have been the best thing I have done. Nothing we do is better than the work of handmind. When mind uses itself without the hands it runs the whole circle and may go too fast. The hand that shapes the mind into clay or written word slows thought to the gait of things and lets it be subject to accident and time. Purity is on the edge of evil, they say."
Stowe continues:
"When an item is crafted with useful beauty in mind, it transcends not only the years it may last but also the need one might feel to hurry in its making. What are the few extra minutes to do things right when each moment of attention is witnessed in the finsihed piece for such a lengthy span of time?"
I like the idea of HANDMIND.

No comments: